FIRI Consulting CC
Cleaner Production Audits and ISO 14000
A "Cleaner Production Audit" can be defined as:
"A systematic review of a company's processes and operations design to identify
and provide information about opportunities to reduce waste, reduce pollution and improve operational efficiency"
A good Cleaner
Production audit will:
- Present available information on use of unit operations, raw materials, products, water and energy.
- Define the
sources, quantities and type of waste
- Clearly identify where process inefficiencies and areas of poor management exist
- Identify environmentally
damaging activities and report on legislative compliance
- Identify where cleaner Production opportunities exist, estimate how much
these could cost to implement and quantify the benefits
- Prioritise the Cleaner Production opportunities identified. Priority should
be given to low cost/no cost measures and those with relatively short payback periods
- Incorporate an "Action Plan", which will describe
how the Cleaner Production measures can be best implemented at the factory
Following the audit, factory staff can be trained in Cleaner
Production measures by means of a video taken of their own practises and through the implementation of ISO 14000.
Consulting CC started the work in the fishing industry, the principals are now being applied to the wider food industry.
|White Fish Factory
||1 000 000
Fresh water ±60% Sea water
|| 20 000
|| 250 000
|| 250 000
||±75% Fresh water |
Table below shows average savings achieved through Danish Aid Organisation (DANIDA) funded training and implementation of changes
FIRI Consulting CC Members LR Williams, CR Miller, WH Hall
Reg. No. 2005/107359/23